‘The Blessed Mother exulted as Queen in Heaven by her Son Jesus’
The Theology of the Kingdom of God or Basileia tou Theou is very important in Biblical Theology. It started in the Old Testament where in God is frequently referred to as King:
Psalm 5:2 Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. [NIV]
Psalm 145:1 A psalm of praise. Of David. I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever. [NIV]
The concept of God’s Kingship is very much rooted in the belief that He is the Almighty One, the Supreme Being and the Creator of all things. The creator of the universe is the owner of the universe and the owner of the universe is the one who has all the power and authority in it and over it. Then, in the history of the people of Israel some figures were highlighted to serve as a ‘Type” or ‘Foreshadow’ of the Messiah:
1. Prominent among them is the figure of Mechizedek, King of Salem who is a priest of the most high God.
Gen 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
The priesthood of Melchizek later viewed as a foreshadow of the Kingship of the Messiah who is the King of Peace and of the New Jerusalem, the Church. The priesthood of the Messiah is not in the Order of Levite or Aaron but according to the Order of Melchizedek since Melchizedek is referred to as having no father or mother it mirrors the figure of Christ who is from Heaven and is Eternal and also to show the eternal priesthood of Christ who is the High Priest of the new covenant:
Ps 110:4 The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.
Heb 5:5-6 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
2. The second is the figure of David as the best and greatest King of Israel before the coming of the Messiah. He is the one who defeated all Israel’s enemies, united the people as one nation and kingdom and ruled in Jerusalem in a period of peace after total victory.
Starting from the Theology of the Kingdom the Church recognizes the following offices in the Kingdom of God:
There were [and are still] 3 essential Offices in Davidic Kingdom
1. The Office of the King
2 Samuel 2:4 And the men of Judah came, and there they anointed David king over the house of Judah.
The King is the most important political and administrative office in the entire Kingdom. It is because he represents God as the Head of the Nation and he shepherds it in the name of the same God. Also, he personifies the entire kingdom and for that he leads them in worship and in battle and he must ensure that justice and peace reigns all over the land.
We all know that this Office is forever taken by the Lord Jesus Christ as the Greatest and Final and Eternal King of Israel and of the entire Universe.
2. The Office of the ‘Gebirah’ (The Queen-Mother)
Second to that of the King is the Office of the Queen-Mother who reigns with him.
3. The Office of the ‘Al Barith’ or Keeper of the Keys (The Prime Minister, Master of the Palace, Major Domo, Royal Chamberlain, The Vizier, etc.)
This is the most important office among the Ministers of the King because he is the one that governs the daily life of the Palace and ensures that everything is well in the realm. It is him who negotiates business, who pays salaries to soldiers and staff, and he is he who checks the finances. There are several ministers but this one is the most trusted and the highest ranking of them all. The Prime Minister and the ultimate adviser of the King.
1. Jesus is the ‘Last’ & the ‘Greatest’ King of Israel & the World.
* Isaiah 9:-6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
* Daniel 7:13-14 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.
* Micah 5:2 And thou Bethlehem Ephrata, art a little one among the thousands of Juda, out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity.
* Zechariah 9:9 = Luke 1:31-33
Zec 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Sion, shout for joy, O daughter of Jerusalem: BEHOLD THY KING will come to thee, the just and saviour: he is poor, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt, the foal of an ass.
The One who came is Jesus:
Lk 1:31-33 Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb and shalt bring forth a son: and thou shalt call his name Jesus. He shall be great and shall be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father: and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever. And of his kingdom there shall be no end.
* Philippians 2:10-11 That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth: And that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father.
* Revelation 19:13-16 And he was clothed with a garment sprinkled with blood. And his name is called: THE WORD OF GOD. And the armies that are in heaven followed him on white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth proceedeth a sharp two-edged sword, that with it he may strike the nations. And he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness of the wrath of God the Almighty. And he hath on his garment and on his thigh written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
2. The Archangel Gabriel: The Kingdom of Jesus is the restoration of the Davidic Kingdom. [Luke 1:32-33]
* The Davidic Kingdom is unique all over the world.
* There the Office of the Queen rightfully belongs to The Mother of the King, not his wife.
* In Jeremiah 13:18 [KJV] the Lord God speaks: “‘Say to the KING & the QUEEN…” The Queen being referred to here is not the spouse of the King but the Mother of the King. In fact, in Ang Biblia it is translated: ‘Iyong sabihin sa HARI at sa INA NG HARI…’ [Literally: “Say to the King and to the Mother of the King…”]. Those Protestant Biblical scholars who translated the King James Version and those who later further translated the KJV into Tagalog Ang Biblia, unanimously agree that the Queen of the Davidic kingdom was the ‘Mother of the King’.
Scriptural Support showing the King, the name of the Kingdom and the Queen-Mother
1 Kgs 2:12-20 Solomon United Israel Bathsheba
1 Kgs 14:21,31 Rehoboam: Judah Naamah
1 Kgs 15:1-2 Abijam: Judah Maachah
1 Kgs 15:8,13 Asa: Judah Maachah
1 Kgs 22:42 Jehoshaphat Judah Azubah
2 Kgs 3:1-2,13 Jehoram Israel Jezebel
2 Kgs 8:26 Ahaziah Judah Athaliah
2 Kgs 12:1 Jehoash Judah Zibiah
2 Kgs 14:1-2 Amaziah Judah Jehoaddan
2 Kgs 15:1-2 Azariah Judah Jecholiah
2 Kgs 15:32-33 Jotham Judah Jerusha
2 Kgs 18:1-2 Hezekiah Judah Abi
2 Kgs 21:1 Manasseh Judah Hephzibah
2 Kgs 22:1 Josiah Judah Jedidah
2 Kgs 23:31 Jehoahaz Judah Hamutal
2 Kgs 23:36 Jehoiakim Judah Zebudah
2 Kgs 24:8,15 Jehoiachin Judah Nehushta
2 Kgs 24:18 Zedekiah Judah Hamutal
* The Queen-Mother of King Solomon
The Judaeo-Christian Tradition of having a Queen-Mother historically started during the time of King Solomon who was King after his great and legendary father King David. The David-Solomon succession of authority and kingship became for Christian believers the foreshadow of the coming of the Messiah and His relationship with His Father in Heaven. King David the Father-King has no Queen being the Type of God the Father while his son Solomon declares his mother as a Queen to be sit on his right side. Thus, the Question of who has the right to sit at the right hand of Jesus is answered: THE MOTHER OF JESUS – THE VIRGIN MARY.
As wife, Bathsheba was subordinate to King David:
1 Kings 1:15-16 And Bathsheba went in unto the king into the chamber: and the king was very old; and Abishag the Shunammite ministered unto the king. And Bathsheba bowed, and did obeisance unto the king. [KJV]
However, when her son assumed the Throne her importance and significance in the Kingdom was magnified. She became the closest person to the King and one whose request shall never be refused. Having the same Biblical perspective Catholics honor the Mother of the Messiah in the same manner:
Prince Adonijah asked help of Bathsheba & recognized her privileged status.
1 Kings 2:13-17 [Good News] Then Adonijah, whose mother was Haggith, went to Bathsheba, who was Solomon’s mother. “Is this a friendly visit?” she asked. “It is,” he answered, v14and then he added, “I have something to ask of you.” “What is it?” she asked. He answered, “You know that I should have become king and that everyone in Israel expected it. But it happened differently, and my brother became king because it was the Lord’s will. And now I have one request to make; please do not refuse me.” “What is it?” Bathsheba asked. He answered, “Please ask King Solomon—I KNOW HE WON’T REFUSE YOU—to let me have Abishag, the young woman from Shunem, as my wife.”
What happened afterward? Well, as she promised Bathsheba – the King’s mother indeed went to see her son to express the request of Adonijah and the reaction of King Solomon to the presence of his mother is noteworthy:
1 Kgs 2:19-20 [GNB] So Bathsheba went to the king to speak to him on behalf of Adonijah. The king stood up to greet his mother and bowed to her. Then he sat on his throne and had another one brought in on which she sat at his right. She said, “I have a small favor to ask of you; please do not refuse me.”
“What is it, mother?” he asked. “I WILL NOT REFUSE YOU.”
• The King stood & bowed to his Mother. Of course, if the king is bowing before his mother as a sign of filial piety then his subjects shall also bow to the Mother of the King because the King sets the tone of the people.
• The King ordered a ‘Throne’ for her at his right hand.Thus, it is now clear that the one who has the right to sit at the right hand of the King of Israel is The Mother of the King.
• The King confirmed that he will never say ‘no’ to his mother.This reminds us of MIRACLE IN CANA [cf. John 2:1-11] wherein due to the request of Mary the Lord Jesus started His Ministry even though it was not yet time by turning the water into finest wine. Anti-Catholic preachers argue though that in the succeeding verses King Solomon actually refused his mother by beheading Adonijah instead of granting his request. Well, my respond is that Solomon is not a perfect king while The Messiah-King is perfect and sinless. Also, Bathsheba was a woman of who committed adultery and was very imprudent in allowing herself to the clever manipulation of Adonijah. Abishag was the former and last wife of King David if Solomon had granted her as wife to Adonijah then it is tantamount to abjugation and giving Adonijah more reasons to demand the Throne for himself. Solomon being a very wise leader decided to put him to death.
How come Bathsheba’s request was rejected by Solomon while that of Mary was granted by the Lord Jesus? First, Bathsheba’s request is part of a hidden evil plot to undermine the Authority of the King while the request of Mary is total Trust as well as Dependence on Christ the King. Second. Bathsheba was imprudent by immediately demanding the term but Mary is Virgin Most Prudent because she didn’t actually put a request but merely a report: “They have no wine” instead of “I want you to provide them with wine”. Third, Mary admonished others to obey her King unlike Bathsheba who became a puppet to the manipulation of Adonijah. Bathsheba should have told Adonijah: “I will inform my son but it is up to him. I advise you to do whatever the King tells you.” On her part Mary shone in wisdom and in humility by saying to the servants: “Do whatever he tells you!”
In short, Bathsheba used her maternal privilege imprudently while Mary always present herself as a Mother but also a loyal and humble Handmaid [female servant] of the Lord: “I am the handmaid of the Lord be it done unto me according to His words…” [cf. Luke 1: 38]. Mary is a Queen who knows her place as Proto-Servant and Disciple of her Son-King.
THE TESTIMONY OF JEREMIAH
* Jeremiah 13:18 [Magandang Balita Biblia] Jeremiah says that the Queen-Mother sits on the throne and with a crown as well, proving the exalted Office and Royal Dignity accorded the Queen-Mother. The verse actually speak of an unworthy king and his unworthy mother but Jesus is a holy King and His Mother is a woman of faith and virtue, she is full of grace [cf. Luke 1:28 DRB] and highly favored of God [cf. Luke 1:28 KJV].
THE TESTIMONY OF PSALM 45
* Psalms 45:6-7 The Kingdom of the Messiah is eternal.
Ps 45:6-7 [KJV] Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre. Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. [cf. Heb 1:8]
* Psalms 45:9 ‘The Messiah-King has a Queen, who stands at His right hand, in gold of Ophir.’
Ps 45:9 [KJV] Kings’ daughters were among thy honourable women: upon thy right hand did stand THE QUEEN in gold of Ophir.
* Psalms 45:17 The Messiah-King declared that the Queen’s name will be remembered in all generations. People shall praise her for ever. Primarily the text refers to the eternal glorification of the Messiah but secondarily to the lasting remembrance and honor for His Queen-Mother.
Ps 45:17 [KJV] I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise thee for ever and ever.
Luke 1:48 [KJV] For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
THE FULFILLMENT OF THE PROPHECY
1. St. Matthew declares Mary as the final link between the Messiah & the Davidic Dynasty. [Matthew 1:16]
Mt 1:16 [KJV] And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
2. St. Luke attests that Mary’s Son shall be the Final Possessor of the Davidic Throne. [Luke 1:31-33]
Lk 1:31-33 [KJV] And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
3. St. John never called Mary by name. He referred to her only as THE MOTHER OF JESUS. [John 2:1, 3, 5/19:25-27]
Jn 2:1 [KJV] And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there…
Jn 2:3 [KJV] And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
Jn 2:5 [KJV] His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
Jn 19:25 [KJV] Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
These repeated mentioned of Mary as THE MOTHER OF JESUS is very important in Theology of the Kingdom especially since The Kingship of Christ is one of the special themes of the Gospel of John of the entire Johannine Literature:
Jn 1:49 [KJV] Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.
Jn 12:13 Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord.
Jn 12:15 Fear not, daughter of Sion: behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass’s colt.
Jn 18:33 Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?
Jn 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
Jn 19:14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
Jn 19:19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.
The Kingship of Christ was established in the Gospel of John by His miracles, the first of which is that of Cana in Galilee. The ultimate expression of His Kingship is on the Cross wherein He redeemed the people by His precious Blood. In both case Mary his Mother is there prominent figure of a Crucified King and His ever faithful Queen-Mother. As the Kingship of Christ is not according to this world’s standards and so the Queenship of Mary. It is of heavenly nature:
VISION OF HEAVEN
Revelation 12:1-2 A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pangs, in the agony of giving birth. The ‘Woman’ is Crowned as Queen because her Son is The King of the World!
* Revelation 12:5 And she gave birth to a Son, a male child, who is to rule all the nations with the rod of iron.
* Psalms 2:7 Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten Thee… [v.9] Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron…
The final book of the Bible, that is the Book of Revelation, presents Mary as the Woman Clothed with the Sun and as a Mother of the King of all Nations. This is perfectly in harmony with Psalm 45 wherein the Queen Mother is said to be dressed in gold. Here she is dressed with the Sun showing that she is protected by God’s Grace because God is the Sun of Righteousness:
Ps 84:11 [KJV] For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
The Lord God indeed protected Mary the Mother of the Redeemer from Satan and from Sin as He promised in Genesis 3:15 and He declared through the Angel Gabriel in Luke 1:28 filling her with Grace and Favor. Much more The Mother of the King was Clothed with the Sun because her Son-King is the Sun of Righteousness himself:
Malachii 4:2 [KJV] But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
* Mary is Queen of Heaven because Jesus is the King of Heaven and also because she is shown in Rev 12:1 as a Crowned Queen in Heaven.
* Mary is Queen of the Patriachs and Queen of the Apostles because she is shown in Rev 12:1 having been crowned with 12 Stars which in Biblical numerology primarily refers to the 12 Patriarchs of the 12 Tribes of Israel and of the 12 Apostles of the Lamb. Meaning Mary is THE QUEEN MOTHER OF THE PEOPLE OF GOD FROM THE OLD AND THE NEW TESTAMENT.
VIVA EL CRISTO REY
Y NSTRA. SNRA. DEL STO. ROSARIO